Return to: Policies and Regulations
Rush University (“Rush”), inclusive of the Colleges within, and its Clinical Partners provide opportunities for students enrolled in health sciences programs at Rush to engage in learning experiences and, as applicable, participate in on-campus and clinical experiences, including but not limited to clinical rotations (“Clinical Programs”). Students returning to campus, engaging in learning experiences and participating in Clinical Programs (referred to herein as “Students”) knowingly and voluntarily subject themselves to certain risks related to healthcare education.
In light of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, Rush and its Clinical Partners are taking certain new precautions and ensuring that all Students are aware of the potential risks inherent to returning to campus, attending classes or other learning experiences and participation in Clinical Programs. Students voluntarily and willingly assume certain risks in returning to campus, attending classes and participating in and completing Clinical Programs, which are completed for their own benefit.
COVID-19 is a highly infectious, life-threatening disease declared by the World Health Organization to be a global pandemic. There is no current vaccine for COVID-19. COVID-19’s highly contagious nature means that contact with others or contact with surfaces that have been exposed to the virus can lead to infection. Additionally, individuals who may have been infected with COVID-19 may be asymptomatic for a period of time or may never become symptomatic at all. Because of its highly contagious and sometimes hidden nature, it is currently very difficult to control the spread of COVID-19 or to determine whether, where or how a specific individual may have been exposed to the disease. Aware of the foregoing, I am voluntarily returning to the campus of Rush and/or Clinical Partners.
There is a potential risk inherent in returning to campus, attending classes or other learning experiences, and/or participating in Clinical Programs. Students may be exposed to and/or care for patients who are ill with infectious diseases, and as a result may be at heightened risk for contracting infectious diseases, including COVID-19. Students may also be exposed to infectious disease, including COVID-19, through exposure from other members of the Rush community, including students, faculty, staff and patients. Students will be required to comply with any and all safety precautions and guidelines set forth by Rush, and for Students who are participating in Clinical Programs (referred to herein as “Student Participants”), and any additional safety precautions and guidelines set forth by Rush and/or the Clinical Partner at which the Student is completing a Clinical Program. Such precautions and guidelines may be updated at any time. In particular, Student Participants who are working with or around patients who have or may have COVID-19 (e.g., Student Participants who work in a “COVID-19 wing”), or who have been otherwise directed to do so by Rush or a Clinical Partner, are required to wear personal protective equipment (“PPE”). Student Participants are solely responsible for notifying the Clinical Partner and Rush (through the relevant program director or supervising faculty member) if PPE has not been provided. Student Participants are solely responsible for using PPE correctly and for following any other requirements set forth by Rush and/or Clinical Partners. Student Participants are also required to comply with any best practices related to the provision of health care generally (e.g., hand-washing, mask wearing and social distancing), and related to the transmission of infectious diseases, including COVID-19, specifically, and are solely responsible for asking Rush and/or Clinical Partners for any further guidance necessary related to such best practices. PPE and other precautions cannot fully eliminate the risk of transmission of infectious disease. Student Participants are required to report to Rush and the Clinical Partner, if relevant, known or suspected exposure to COVID-19 and to report any symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., acute respiratory illness; signs of a fever).
All Students are ultimately responsible for their own health. Rush stands ready to assist any Student, as requested, in complying with these requirements.
All Students must acknowledge these responsibilities and the inherent risks of returning to campus, engaging in learning experiences and attending class, and participating in Clinical Programs prior to resuming such participation.
IN CONSIDERATION of being given the opportunity to return to campus, engage in and attend class or other learning experiences, and/or complete Clinical Programs at Rush University and its Clinical Partners, you understand and acknowledge the following:
- There is potential risk inherent in returning to campus, attending classes or other learning experiences and/or participating in Clinical Programs. I understand and acknowledge that I may be around and/or care for individuals that are ill and therefore may be exposed to diseases known or unknown, including but not limited to COVID-19. I am willing to assume that risk.
- My return to campus and/or participation in the Clinical Program is to benefit my knowledge, experience and improve my abilities and therefore purely voluntary on my part.
- I assume responsibility for complying with any safety guidelines set forth by Rush University (and the Colleges within), Rush University Medical Center, and/or a Clinical Partner, including as related to the use of personal protective equipment (“PPE”). I acknowledge that the use of PPE and other safety precautions, such as hand-washing, does not fully eliminate any risk inherent to returning to campus, attending classes or other learning experiences and participation in the Clinical Program. I acknowledge that I should not return to campus if I cannot comply with the safety guidelines set forth by Rush related to presence on campus and attendance in class, academic events, or other learning opportunities. I acknowledge that if I am participating in a Clinical Program, I am responsible for informing both Rush University (through the relevant program director or supervising faculty member) and the Clinical Partner at which I am completing a Clinical Program if I lack the necessary PPE or cannot for any reason comply with safety precautions. I voluntarily assume this responsibility and the related risk.
- If I believe I have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or experience symptoms associated with COVID-19, I understand that I should not come to campus, except to seek medical care, attend any classes or other academic events, or attend my Clinical Program. I understand that in the event I am injured or ill in relation to exposure to illness on campus, I am responsible for notifying the relevant program director or supervising faculty member at Rush University. I understand that in the event I am injured or ill in relation to the activities I engaged in during the Clinical Program, I am responsible for notifying the relevant program director or supervising faculty member at Rush University. I further understand that I will be responsible for the costs associated with any such exposure, illness, or injury, to include any follow up care that might be needed. I voluntarily assume this responsibility.
- I understand that Rush is planning a flexible model of instruction, including for Clinical Programs, and may provide fully online and/or remote instruction if necessary. Under this flexible model, Rush currently intends that instruction will be a hybrid of in-person and online modalities; however, the model is designed to pivot to a fully online/remote modality if necessary to help ensure health and safety of the Rush community, in line with recommendations from public health entities.
I understand that compliance with the expectations set forth in this document is an educational responsibility with which I, as a student at Rush, and a professional responsibility with which I, as a future licensed healthcare worker, agree to abide. I am freely and voluntarily entering into this assumption of risk.